Sunday, July 22, 2012

Basey, Samar's Woven Products

Until my trip to Leyte last month, I've always associated woven products with Bicol. We made a side trip to Basey (pronounced Basay), Samar, and we were lucky the family of our host, Judge Estorninos, is one of the main producers of these, supplying malls in Manila with their products. In this trip I scored banigs, or handwoven mats, for my home.

A quick online research yields that Basey used to be the capital of Leyte during the American Period. Basey is based on the Waray word, "mabaisai," which means beautiful. The town is indeed quite lovely. For a related post, go here.

Below are some of the products on sale at Delza's native products, from bags...




to mats...

bought the orange and maroon ones for my house
these were just lovely
to wall accents...

slippers...

hats...
Add caption
and more wall accents.

Judge Estorninos shows us the raw material that they use for their products. Tikog is a grass that grows along rice fields, and slippers made from this grass is much sought after.

dried tikog
When in Basey, do drop by the store. I went crazy with my purchases, and I resolved to return.


Delza's Native Products
San Fernando Street
Basey, Samar
055-276-1059
0947-4688289

No comments:

Post a Comment