Thursday, August 2, 2012

Scaling the Bell-tower of Basey's Church

This is the continuation of my posts on Basey, Samar. Earlier I wrote about how I finally was able to score some woven mats for my home. You can read my entry on it here. Later that day our host brought us to the town church, the St. Michael  the Archangel Church, built in the 17th century.
murals of biblical characters on the ceiling
i've always been fascinated with tableaux of the crucifixion.. 
...as well as stained glass
We grabbed the opportunity to climb the bell-tower. Half-way up we all sheepishly admitted to being agoraphobics.


These murals made the ascent worth it.


View of the town from the tower. Note the narrow streets. I could imagine how little has changed since the founding of the town.  


The descent was just as scary.

Finally on terra firma.

This is how the church looks like, with the bell-tower on the left.

This is one of the more unusual trips that we made, and this made me appreciate more our rich, colonial heritage.

No comments:

Post a Comment