Thursday, April 25, 2013

Quirk Overload: Singapore's Kki Sweets and The Little Dröm Store

In my last post, I fell in love with sexy and dramatic Scarlet Hotel. I arrived the night before, and I was tempted to stay in, but good thing I had the good sense to venture out. I knew I wanted to go to indie knickknack shop Little Dröm Store, located two minutes away on foot from my hotel at Ann Siang Hill. I didn't know it also shares space with Kki Sweets, a fine pastries purveyor.
my heart skipped a beat when i saw these signs. i scoped out
ann siang hill in my first morning in singapore. the place opens at 11 am
kki sweets share the premises with little dröm store. their cakes are lovingly made, and cute!

exhibit a: the little red riding hood. choco mousse encased in dark choco,
with raspberry center. moist, rich, and pretty

i had tea with my order.
the place has a very scandanavian design sensibility--
blonde wood, clean lines, but with a sense of humor

table top ornament. less is more

quirky knickknacks galore. it was difficult to choose a souvenir. felt like a kid again,
with all these nostalgia-triggers on display 
ultimately, this little cherub went home with me from singapore.

i thought my little angel, a kewpie doll, was a girl, until i noticed  his
pototoy. kewpies, as they are called, are based on illustrations
by rose o'neill that appeared in the ladies home journal in 1909

For my next post, I'll write about how I stumbled upon the Hainanese Chicken approved by Anthony Bourdain.

Kki Sweets
The Little Dröm Store
No. 7 Ann Siang Hill
Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment