Friday, January 24, 2014

Bora Dispatches Day 3: Ending on a High Note

This is my third travel post on my recent holiday trip to Boracay. For the earlier installments, go here and here. For my resto review, go here

Bora, Day 3: Unlike yesterday, this time I woke up earlier, 6 am to be exact. From the hotel, I jogged towards Station 1. I was having the runs so I had to cut my jogging short. Just as I passed the Marian grotto, my stomach acted up.

Bora in the morning is a sight to behold, and well worth the effort to wake up early for a jog, although to be truthful, I had to stop now and then to take a picture of the scenery and the places where I ate. I dropped by at Jonah's to check if they have the elusive avocado shake. They told me to return by 9 am. 

My tummy calmed a bit, so I proceeded to the 24-hour Smoke Restaurant located at D'Mall. I ordered their bestselling pork kaopad. The resto is quite difficult to find, since it is along a narrow alley behind Andoks.

I then proceeded to nearby Lemoni Cafe for something sweet. I've been here before in my first solo leisure travel. I love the refreshing interiors done in citrusy yellows and greens. I wanted to try either the lemon muffin or cheesecake, but these were not available, so I settled for Mango Madness instead. It was quite good. I highly recommend it.

before arriving at bora i was expecting it to be crawling with the holiday crowd,
but traffic was light 
I proceeded back to my hotel because I felt my stomach was acting up again. I rested for an hour, and then checked out at 11 am. I don't think I'll be coming back at La Carmela Hotel, unless I'm penny-pinching. Yesterday i woke up to the chatter of the staff, the people manning the front desk, except for a few, were not attentive enough, and I can't access my mobile data plan inside my room.

I wanted to eat at Truefood Indian Cuisine for lunch before proceeding to my next hotel but it was still closed. While walking, I didn't notice that my phone falling out until I was approached by some good Samaritans, boatmen who offer rides to tourists, with my phone in tow. This was the second time this happened to me--leaving my phone and someone returning it to me--and  I was feeling blessed, despite yesterday's letdown.  Perhaps not all is lost to creeping commercialism. 

For lunch I went to Epic. The meal was not remarkable but their happy hour is--it starts at 12 noon. After having my fill of margaritas, I proceeded to The Tides Hotel, a little woozy from the drinks. During check-in I arranged an airport transfer to Kalibo, and at P750 it was a good deal.

this greeted me while i was lying on bed

unfortunately, i had no secrets to hide
I love the clean, modern lines of the Tides. Three years ago they gave me a red room. Now my room is in black and white. If yesterday I felt laid-back now I can say I can say I wanted to stay in, which I did. Around 4:30 pm I stirred. At this time Bora has come alive--it is teeming with people. I proceeded to Jonah's, but still there was no avocado shake.

From Jonah's I proceeded to Discovery Shores, where I tried the crab fat noodles. It was a nice touch that they gave me some chocnut while waiting for my order. Their mojito is excellent, and I was just in time for the happy hour, which is from 5 pm to 10 pm. I hope next time I'll be staying at the hotel. Order the classic lime mojito--the watermelon was not as good.

At quarter to 7pm I went to Truefood Indian Cuisine and ordered an excellent lamb dish with naan bread.  This was an fitting end to my Bora resto run. Tip: as in elsewhere, the priciest restos do not guarantee good food. 

I then went back to the Tides for my complimentary drink at their rooftop bar Solstice. With margaritas on hand I checked my Facebook wall and worked on my blogs. I was the first one to arrive, but pretty soon the crowd trickled in. Around midnight I felt queasy from all the drinks I had all day, and so I called it a night.

The next day I woke up at 5:30 am, had an early breakfast, and checked out at 6:40 am. I was the lone passenger in the 7 am hotel van. The driver assisted me up to the raft going to Caticlan. At 8:05 am I boarded a minibus bound for Kalibo airport.

And that was how my holiday Bora trip went. I'm happy I was able to go to most restos in my list, and many of the meals I sampled were good. There's no stopping commercialism, but some people can surprise you with their generosity and good spirit. Well, until the next trip.

Credits: For some of my leads, I'm grateful for these two bloggers: onewayticket and philippinebeachesAside from sources online, my friends clue me in on places to eat, going out of their way to point where the good stuff are.

No comments:

Post a Comment