Sunday, October 21, 2012

Dakak Park and Beach Resort

Nope, I have not traveled to Mainland China.
This is the Taipei House, one of the function rooms of the Dakak Park and Beach Resort.

This is just one of the draws of the resort. I have to admit, although I was excited, I tempered my expectations when I heard that the venue of my next work. But when I got there, I was blown away. The place looks better than some of the foreign places I visited. I wish more of us realize this, because I get disheartened when some of us turn up their noses on local tourism. Hey, give the country a chance. 

But I choose to be optimistic. Through my travels both here and abroad, I re-affirm my belief that the Philippines is indeed a beautiful country, and that it can compete with the rest. Yes, a lot has to be done. There's the infrastructure--overhauling the airport, improving the road networks--and the mindset--instilling not only pride but a sense of history and respect for heritage. But enough ranting. You're here for my photo essay, so here it is. 

From the Dipolog City Airport, it took us an hour by bus to reach the resort. The resort offers regular airport transfers, which passes through historic Dapitan City (yes, this is where the national hero spent time in exile). The ride was quite pleasant--paved roads, scenes of rural life, splashes of green. 

Upon reaching the resort, we were greeted by live music by the entrance of the main hall. 

There was slight mix-up in the registration, so I had to wait for an hour to get my room. The wait was worth it, because the inside of my cottage reminded me of visits to a countryside neighborhood. The room was  what a dolled-up nipa hut would look like--wicker and rattan furniture, Yakan prints, Narda's weaves. Truth to tell it was bordering on gauche, but I love it. It felt like coming home.  

My cottage was perched on a hill, quite a walk from our function hall at Taipei House. But with a view like this,  I really can't complain. 




My friends took a dip in the swimming pool. I'm not a fan of the latter, but I love to be near water.

This is the Italian restaurant where I reconsidered my aversion to spaghetti meatballs. For more highlights of what I ate in the resort, read here

What I liked best was the beach. It wasn't crawling with people, and was kept pristine. I could spend hours along this stretch. 

hidden behind the trees is where we had breakfast, with the beach as our view


Other considerations before booking a stay: there is free wifi at the main hall, but none at the the rooms. Limited cable channels. No complimentary bottled water. Vans are available to transport you from the cottage to the function rooms, restaurants, and swimming areas. Since the resort is quite secluded  this is for guests expecting to get away. If quiet time scares you, there's a bar, a souvenir shop, and one can rock-climb, ride the zip-line, jet-ski or play beach volleyball. A theme park is also 30 minutes away.

2 comments:

  1. How much did your overnight accommodations cost? I've been planning to go to Dapitan and would like to see Dakak some time =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. we availed of the corporate rate.you might find this link useful http://www.ilink.ph/view.php?id=1874. happy trip.;-)

    ReplyDelete